About a week ago, tremendous flooding hit Calgary and the surrounding area. Damage done to homes, businesses and the city's infrastructure is extensive, and many people are still evacuated or without power. While everyone we know is safe and sound, my thoughts and prayers go out to all Calgarians!
In light of these recent circumstances, and as a way to pay tribute to Canada Day, I thought I'd share what I love most about the Stampede City. Happy Canada Day to my family and friends up north!
1. Situated in the heart of Banff National Park, the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited!
2. The white cowboy hat symbolizes the spirit of Calgary. Upon arrival at the airport, you will surely be welcomed by volunteers wearing the recognizable cap.
3. For an authentic, lively, dining experience downtown, Mercato is highly recommended. The Bistecca alla Florentina is amazing (and made with Alberta beef, of course).
4. While known for the coffee, I prefer the Timbits (bite-size donut holes in every flavor).
5. For true relaxation, the Willow Stream Spa at Fairmont Banff Springs can't be beat. The pulsating waterfalls and mineral pools are simply rejuvenating.
6. Watching the Calgary Flames at the Saddledome is SO much fun. I've certainly become a true hockey fan!
7. During the Calgary Stampede, cowboy boots are a must. The best can be found at Alberta Boot.
8. Pure Canadian Maple Syrup on pancakes is a given... Delish!
9. During the winter months (which is a significant portion of the year), skiing at Sunshine Village shouldn't be missed. The views from the mountain peaks are breathtaking!