Friday, October 26, 2012

Creamy Pumpkin Breakfast Smoothie


When the weather starts to get chilly, I tend to crave everything pumpkin: soups, scones, pies and lattes... The list goes on and on! While wonderfully delicious, the unfortunate issue associated with this seasonal craving, is that often times the above mentions are mixed with cream, butter and sugar. (Insert big sigh... Ugh). Unhealthy to the utmost extent!

Over the past couple weeks, my Mom and I have both been trying to exercise a little more and eat a little better. Something that's easier said than done, for sure! (Insert another big sigh... Ugh). Remotely, we are holding each other accountable!

At one of my Mom's recent morning workout sessions, her instructor passed along a recipe for a healthy, pumpkin breakfast smoothie. As soon as I heard the basic ingredients, I couldn't stop thinking about ways improve the flavor and texture, while at the same time, maintain the nutritional benefits.

After a few attempts, I'm ready to share my favorite rendition. High in protein, low in sugar, and packed with everything healthy. Beware, you may never crave a Thanksgiving pastry again!

Creamy Pumpkin Breakfast Smoothie
6 oz. Vanilla 0% Greek yogurt (I like Chobani)
1/2 Banana, frozen (using a frozen banana will always improve the consistency of the smoothie)
1/2 Cup pumpkin puree, frozen if possible (be sure to use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling)
1/8 Teaspoon cinnamon, and just a pinch of nutmeg
2 Tablespoons applesauce
1 Scoop whey protein powder (I like Tera's Whey in Bourbon Vanilla or Plain Unsweetened)
1/3 Cup milk (Almond, Soy or Skim)
2 Tablespoons apple cider
1/8 Teaspoon agave nectar
3 Ice cubes

Mix all ingredients in a blender to desired consistency. If more liquid is needed, use apple cider or milk, depending on taste. This recipe should yield one large smoothie. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment