Friday, December 2, 2011

"Wow, That's Good Bread"

Very rarely does a recipe conjure up the same reactions from every eater. And, if I had a penny for every time I've heard, "wow, that's good bread," I'd be rich! 


My sister, Annie, lives in Vermont. I remember laughing two years ago when she told me to try her new specialty: no-knead bread. Note, this is the same sister that makes her own yogurt. "Who has time to make bread, I thought to myself. Especially in New York City?" She came back with, "This is Sullivan Street Bakery's recipe!" (a.k.a. my favorite place for doughy-goodness in the city). While funny, I still wasn't convinced. 


Okay, fast forward several months... At first bite, I was in love. The only thing I could say was, "wow, that's good bread!" 


So, without further ado... 


"Wow, That's Good Bread"
6 to 8 Quart Pot with Lid (Pyrex Glass or Le Creuset)
3 Cups Bread Flour (white or wheat)
1 1/2 Cups Water
1/4 Teaspoon Yeast
1 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
Olive Oil (for coating)



Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. 






Add water and incorporate by hand or with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds to 1 minute. The dough will be very loose. 





Lightly coat the inside of a second medium bowl with olive oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for 12 hours at room temperature. 


After 12 hours, the dough will look like this...




Remove the dough from the bowl and fold once or twice to loosen the air bubbles. Put the dough back into the bowl and cover with a cotton towel for 1 hour.  


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees with the pot inside the oven (the pot must be hot prior to baking the dough). Put the dough inside the warmed pot and cover with the lid. 




Bake, with the lid on, for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the loaf is browned. 




And that's it, the easiest, most delicious bread! Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment