Kale is one of my absolute favorite vegetables! And, it just so happens to be in stylish abundance at many trendy New York restaurants. A few weeks ago, I tasted chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten's rendition of Kale Salad at ABC Kitchen. Also known as: the most delicious small plate of greens I've ever enjoyed! While some of the ingredients may seem surprising, the end result is a perfect combination of bright flavors.
- 4 tablespoons fresh juice and 1 tablespoon zest from 2 to 3 lemons
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 anchovy filet, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano, grated on a microplane grater (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup neutral oil (such as safflower or canola)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups finely cubed sourdough bread
- 12 ounces kale leaves, large stems removed, sliced into thin ribbons
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 serrano chili, thinly sliced
Combine lemon juice and zest, vinegar, garlic, anchovy, mustard, egg yolk, chili flakes, and cheese in the bowl of a food processor. Process until homogenous, about 10 seconds. With processor running, slowly drizzle neutral oil through feed tube, stopping the processor to scrape down sides as necessary until a smooth emulsion is formed, about 20 seconds.
Transfer to a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Heat remaining two tablespoons olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add bread cubes and cook, tossing and stirring constantly until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt and pepper.
To serve, combine kale and mint in a large bowl with about 1/2 cup dressing (more or less as desired). Toss to coat well and let sit around 3 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl and top with croutons and sliced chilies. Serve immediately. Yields 4 servings.
Kale Salad + Gorgeous Anniversary Roses = A Very Much Improved Working Lunch!