Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Union Square Cafe:: Rosemary Roasted Cashews

New York is home to some of the best restaurants in the world. And, part of the fun of living in this city, is trying as many as possible, as often as you can, while you're here! 

When the Mr. and I go out, I usually find myself taking mental note of interesting flavor combinations and signature dishes I hope to replicate at home. I've enjoyed cooking ever since I was a little girl and that passion has certainly continued. In fact, I find my self attempting to copy, or invent my own version of recipes so often, that I may introduce a new feature to the blog... Stay tuned. 

I used to spend a lot of time in Union Square for work. And, at the end of a long day, there was nothing more relaxing than enjoying a bite to eat at USQ (Union Square Cafe). While Danny Meyer's innovative menu was always appealing, I found myself most into the pre-meal nibbles, a.k.a. rosemary roasted mixed nuts.

To my surprise, this is probably the easiest, tastiest snack to make at home. I tweaked USQ's popular appetizer a tiny bit (shhh, I think it's even better... ).

  • 1 lb. raw, organic cashew nuts (or any raw nut combination of your choice)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper 
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  • Place the nuts on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes until they are warmed through. Meanwhile, over low heat, combine the rosemary, pepper, sugar, salt, ground pepper and butter in a sauce pan, until well melted. Toss the warm nuts with the rosemary mixture until completely coated. 
    Serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment