Thursday, November 15, 2012

Heirloom Tomato Tartine


The MAC Cosmetics corporate office sits in a beautiful brick townhouse on the corner of Prince and Wooster, arguably the prettiest stretch of cobblestone in New York City.

Therefore, without a doubt, one would think that working in SoHo is a dream come true. While there are a many, many, many more Pros to this location than Cons, there is one major Con: What's for lunch?

I know it sounds unbelievable, as almost every renowned chef has a restaurant within one square mile, but it's true! Finding a cup of soup, half sandwich or mixed green salad in this neighborhood is like finding a needle in a hay stack. While I wish it were the case, Jean-Georges can't make me lunch everyday.

To alleviate the stress of deciding what to eat at noon, I've opted to bring my own snacks. I've never been good at packing meals in the morning. Instead, I keep a few easy-to-prepare items in the fridge at work.

My favorite thing to make is an Heirloom Tomato Tartine. It's quick and easy, as well as healthy and inexpensive.

1 Slice Whole Wheat Bread, Toasted (I use Ezekiel 4.9)
Hummus (I use Whole Foods Original Hummus)
1/2 Cup Baby Heirloom Tomatoes, Sliced
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
Salt/Pepper
Italian Parsley/Basil (Optional)

Slice a handful of Baby Heirloom Tomatoes and place in a small bowl. Toss with Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper, to taste. 

Spread hummus on a toasted slice of bread. Scoop tomato mixture onto the hummus and top with a sprinkling of fresh herbs.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment