When it comes to interiors and household items, I'm 'white obsessed'. There's nothing more classic. White dishes always showcase a beautiful meal, white sheets feel luxurious (and give me the best night's sleep), and white towels are a spa-like treat at home.
Many people fear white because they think it's impossible to keep clean. When in fact, white linens are quite easy to wash, brighten and transform into 'just like new'.
To best wash your white linens, follow these simple tricks of the trade:
- Always launder sheets and towels first, before using them.
- For towels, never use fabric softeners, as they will decrease the towel's ability to absorb water (to be honest, I never use fabric softeners).
- Use a mild detergent. Harsh formulas can thin the fabrics of the linens. I use Mrs. Meyers Clean Day. It smells wonderful.
- I love bleach. While nearly all my other cleaning supplies are eci-friendly, nothing brightens towels and sheets better than Clorox. Wash white towels and white sheets in hot water with 3/4 cup of bleach per regular load.
- Dry on medium-high heat.
- Fold towels and sheets right away.