Monday, October 29, 2012

My Golden Birthday


Today is my 'Golden' birthday, and I can assure you, it will be something to remember. Not for grand celebrations, but due to severe weather approaching New York City. Hurricane Sandy is predicted to arrive in full-force by mid-day.

Sunday afternoon, Mayor Bloomberg ordered a mandatory evacuation of Zone A in Manhattan. You guessed it, our Tribeca apartment is situated right in the heart of that area. When a city of this size declares a state of emergency, you know they're not joking around... It was time to pack up and move out! We're lucky that our brother-in-law and sister-in-law live in a part of the city slightly more inland from the Hudson River. And thankfully, we'll all be together, making the storm much more bearable.

But, leaving our neighborhood did feel a little eerie... Sidewalks were lined with people carrying grocery bags and luggage, while cars and taxi cabs were at a standstill on the West Side Highway waiting to escape downtown, and yet the city was very quiet. As the saying goes, the calm before the storm.

I laughed tonight because growing up in Minnesota, a late-October birthday usually meant snow. And sometimes that snow amounted to arctic blizzards. Never did I think, however, I would have to evacuate my home, prepare for a hurricane and turn another year older, all in one day! My Grandma used to always say, "You can't control the weather". And, boy was she right!

The bright side in all of this? The Mr. is now saying it's 'Birthday Week'. I'll take that over just one day any year!

No comments:

Post a Comment