Thursday, June 14, 2012

Healthy (Skinny) Girl

Yesterday, the lovely ladies over at Tartan & Sequins asked the question: what are the best diet-friendly foods to snack on throughout the day? So, of course, being the foodie/fitness obsessed self that I am... I couldn't wait to reply!

When it comes to living a healthy lifestyle, I've always believed this: everything in moderation. And, that applies to both good things, and bad. I mean, if you eat too many carrots, your skin will turn orange (yikes!).

I've never really been on a "diet", but, I'm always aware of what I consume. Here are a few tricks/tips/treats that have helped me maintain my somewhat slim, relatively physically fit figure.


1. CHOBANI Greek Yogurt, Strawberry Banana, 2%
My absolute favorite thing! I look forward to this yogurt every morning, and takes mental strength to not eat more than one a day. It's the perfect breakfast choice, as it's packed with 14 grams of protein and has only 160 calories.

2. Blueberries
I don't eat a lot of fruit, as it's usually so high in sugar. Blueberries, however, are the exception. They are a great source of Vitamin C, dietary fiber and antioxidants. And, they're a perfectly refreshing sweet snack.

3. tera's whey
The best tasting and most organic, all natural, protein packed concentrate I've found. My favorite is the Bourbon Vanilla flavor, added to my homemade mixed berry smoothies.

4. S. Pellegrino
I used to sip a Diet Coke every day at lunch, but have now switched to S. Pellegriono. This hydrating bubbly just tastes fancy.

5. Organic Avenue Green LOVE
On a rare (but recently, not so rare) occasion, I find myself craving an afternoon veggie juice. I like Organic Avenue's Green Love because it has a nice pear note that makes the drink less salad-like. It also comes in a much smaller portion, compared to other juice bars, which is all this girl can handle.

6. Cappuccino
After lunch, when I crave something a little sweet, I like to enjoy a small cappuccino. I usually add a touch of cinnamon or cocoa powder, which makes this pick-me-up even more satisfying.

7. Biscotti
It takes extreme self-discipline to turn down all the baked goods that seem to be almost showcased at the office. For the times when my sweet tooth just won't subside, I choose biscotti because it's a healthier alternative to other cakes and cookies.

8. Red Wine (Ahem... J Vineyards Pinot Noir 2009, Russian River Valley)
Don't some nutritionists actually argue that red wine is good for you? That's what I thought! And, Russian River Valley Pinot's are packed with antioxidants (in my opinion).

9. Pistachios
Nutrient packed and they take a long time to eat. Hence, the perfect snack food.

10. OIKOS Honey Greek Frozen Yogurt
The velvety texture and rich flavor of this frozen yogurt is is divine. It could stand up to a slow-churned vanilla bean ice cream any day. I think it's funny that I start and end my day with Greek Yorgurt (who does that)?

No comments:

Post a Comment