Monday, June 11, 2012

Mother & Daughter Moments

I very much think this is true: the farther apart you live, the more, extra special, get-togethers become.

Ever since I was in college, my Mom and I have planned "Mother/Daughter Weekends". They're always something to look forward to, and usually involve going out to lunch, window shopping and later enjoying a glass of wine at a quaint restaurant. This weekend was no different! Especially because the Mr. and I are now living in a different part of the city: Tribeca. There were lots of new places to explore.

My mom arrived on Friday afternoon, and leisurely strolled around SoHo, until I finished my workday at the MAC office on Prince Street. It was a gorgeous summer evening and we decided it was the perfect time for a cocktail. We headed back downtown to one of the best restaurants in the city (according to Jeff and me): Locanda Verde.

To start, we ordered a crostini of Fava Beans, Mint and Pecorrino on Prosciutto Bread. Then, shared the restaurant's famous Papperdelle with Lamb Bolognese and Mint. Followed by, the Grilled Branzino with Cannolini Beans and Salsa Rosa. There was absolutely no room for dessert, after such a fabulous meal!



Saturday morning breakfast has always been one of our favorite things, so we woke up early to sip one of the best cups of coffee found in New York, HERE. It's even a Swedish cafe (yay).

The rest of the day was spent walking around the city, exploring Tribeca, the West Village and SoHo. We browsed every boutique, from flower shops to bike stores. My favorites were Angelica and Adeline Adeline, also mentioned HERE.


If you didn't already know, but probably assumed, my Mom is also a foodie (a very good thing)! So, as you can imagine, we made our way along Bleeker Street, but were not surprised to discover that the line for Magnolia Bakery cupcakes extended around the block. We were crunched for time, a little bit, so didn't end up waiting. Which also meant, no vanilla buttercream frosting for us (sad).

Our long walk continued to the world famous, Murray's Cheese shop. After about 30 minutes of contemplating what to buy, we decided on the Cave Aged Gruyere and the Finocchiona (Italian Salami with Fennel). So, so good!

 

No weekend in NYC is complete without a brunch reservation. We had planned to meet one of my best friends, and bridesmaid from our wedding, for a leisurely meal at Marc Forgione in Tribeca.


My mom and I arrived at the restaurant a little early. We were able to sit at a perfect table outside and enjoy the sun, a good meal and great company, for a few hours.


The menu was divine... We ordered wine and the most gourmet Eggs Benny, I've ever had (see below). I will be recommending this neighborhood gem to everyone I know!

My mom flew back to Minnesota Sunday night, after our non-stop weekend of being "on-the-go". It was such a wonderful time, we're already planning the next trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment