Thursday, December 22, 2011

Could Have Been the Whiskey, Might Have Been The Gin


I was sitting at the table last night, putting the finishing touches on the latest bottles of my Holiday infused spirits... Enter Jeff. He saw what I was writing on the labels, and then broke out in song, "Could have been the whiskey, might have been the gin"... (The song continued, but you get the point)!

Apparently, this line is from the song "Wasn't That A Party", which I had never heard. You should listen if you haven't before, it's quite funny. Long story short, I couldn't think of a better title for this post!

You may remember, but this past Saturday I made Cranberry, Orange, Vanilla Bean infused vodka for a hostess gift and it couldn't have turned out better! So, for a few additional last minute presents, I tried some different flavors... Again, they're great! 

The first I made for my Sister-In-Law... Cucumber, Mint Infused Gin. We're on a St. Germain kick, so the cucumber and mint will pair nicely with elderflower cocktails.

And, the second, is Whiskey with Lemon and Ginger. While this isn't my drink of choice, Jeff said it turned out awesome! That's assurance his brother will like it! 

Not to say I perfected my infusing techniques on my first attempt, but this time, I made up my own recipes. Cheers!

Cucumber, Mint Infused Gin
1 English Cucumber, peeled and sliced
Small handful fresh mint leaves
1 (750ml) bottle dry gin (I used Tanqueray)
1/2 lime, peeled and sliced (optional)

Peel and slice the cucumber. Place the cucumber in a large air-tight mason jar. Add the fresh mint leaves. Pour the bottle of gin over the cucumber and mint. Seal the jar tightly. Store the jar in a dark place at room temperature for 3 days. Shake at least once each day. Before serving, strain the gin. Store in an air-tight jar in the refrigerator or freezer. 

Whiskey with Lemon and Ginger
1/2 cup peeled and sliced ginger root
1 Meyer lemon, peeled and sliced
1 Bottle Crown Royal Whiskey

Peel and slice the ginger root and the lemon. Add both to a large air-tight mason jar. Pour the whiskey over the ginger root and lemon. Seal the jar tightly. Store the jar in a dark place at room temperature for 3 days. Shake at least once each day. Before serving, strain the whiskey. Store in an air-tight jar in the refrigerator or freezer. 

Now sing a little song... Haha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment